i was very nervous and excited going into my first marathon world championships this past weekend.there was a strong field lining up and i hadnt raced a 107km mtb race since the epic.my legs were good leading into the event and my stumpjumper 29er was super light at 8.4kg so i knew id have the speed.the course was realy fast so there was a big group for most of the first lap of 52km before the many attacks that followed.the pace never realy relaxed for the entire race.

on the second lap of two we starting realy driving the pace hard.suzi attacked numerous times but to no avail.we headed into the last 10km with a 10 man group.alaban lakata had re joined the group and with 3km he attacked with huge momentum.i tried going across the move but cramped halfway across.didnt make it and decided to hang onto the now down to small 6 man group.i timed my sprint for the line alittle late and didnt count on the unknown italian in the group being an ex road sprinter.i still got third and was very happy.after a mediocre middle part of my season this made up for it! thanks for all the support from my team and friends over the last few weeks,it realy does help the motivation.

im now on my way home for the last preperation before xc world cup finals and world championships.looking forward to some sunshine!

ciao

burry